Friday, November 28, 2008

34 weeks and a delivery date

Went to the doc again Monday and Wednesday as I passed the 34 week barrier.

At both appointment my fluid levels went up even more. I am at a big bad 15 now. They have almost doubled since they first started checking it regularly. However, I still have to keep up the appointments....

While at the doctor we asked him about a more solid delivery date since the fluids have gone up. He said he was thinking the 23rd. Justin and I were pretty adamant on it being after Christmas, for the baby's birthday sake and so I am not in the hospital on Christmas. He said that was fine and we have it scheduled for the 29th. Of course this all hinges on if she does not plan on making an early appearance. He also confirmed our suspicion, that I will be needing a C-section. He said we can try to move her if we like, but in my case it is very unlikely to be successful as she has stayed in the exact same position the entire pregnancy. He said this usually means there is something obstructing her movement. Since we trust his judgment, we are going to see if she does it on her own, but it looks like once I actually go into labor or on the 29th I will be getting a C-section. He made us both laugh though. He said "you know why you do not need to be worried - because I am great at C-Sections. I will give you a good one!" I really do love my doctor. He has a way of calming me down and making me very comfortable with all that has been going on.

So I pretty much have 31 days left until the baby gets here if she waits until then. Crazy. I am going to do everything in my power to make sure I do not force an early delivery.

As of Tuesday I was 34 weeks preggers. Below is what was going on (as well as a picture of my big old self)

34 WEEKS!

Your baby now weighs about 4 3/4 pounds (like your average cantaloupe) and is almost 18 inches long. Her fat layers — which will help regulate her body temperature once she's born — are filling her out, making her rounder. Her skin is also smoother than ever. Her central nervous system is maturing and her lungs are continuing to mature as well. If you've been nervous about preterm labor, you'll be happy to know that babies born between 34 and 37 weeks who have no other health problems generally do fine. They may need a short stay in the neonatal nursery and may have a few short-term health issues, but in the long run, they usually do as well as full-term babies.

No comments: