Thursday, April 9, 2009

Boys, avert your eyes.....

So if you are a boy and do not want to read about my thoughts on breastfeeding, I suggest you do not read this post....

So I really have had time to think about my venture in breastfeeding the last few days, especially when I am sitting in the pump room at my office. When I found out I was pregnant, I knew I was going to breastfeed for her health benefits and cost efficiency. I had not really thought about the bond I would have with my child.

I love breastfeeding Annaleigh. Maybe because the minute they brought me to her she latched immediately and has not had a problem since. I love the smile she will have when she is falling asleep while eating. It is precious. I love how she folds her hands like she saying a little prayer to God thanking him for her food and asking God to bless it. I love how she whimpers right before she is about to eat and the sounds she makes when she first starts eating. I adore the sigh she makes when she is done eating. I miss those moments during the day, especially when I am hooked up to a machine.

Now that I am pumping 3 times a day I feel like a cow being hooked up to the equipment. Am I grateful for the pump and the relaxing private room my office has in place so I can give my milk to her? Absolutely. But I look forward to Friday, not because the work week is over, but beause I get the chance to reconnect with my daughter, through play, laughing, cooing, talking and even the feedings.

I actually am a little "upset" with my babysitter when I go to pick her up and find out she has just fed her and I have to wait until 8 or 9 to feed her again. Elaine has done nothing wrong, but Annaleigh is just going longer between feedings now, so I get a little sad when I find out I only get to have two total feedings in a day.

I realize I am going to start introducing solids in a couple of months and the feedings will come less frequently, so I am tying to take in all the quiet moments I share with my daughter every day in the morning and evening.

Well that is all I have to say about that. Sorry if that was a little too much on the personal side.....

1 comment:

Blake said...

I'm SO glad you're enjoying breastfeeding - they're so adorably sweet when they nurse! :)